Important Car Accident Statistics
As Americas roads become more crowded by the day, the number of serious and fatal automobile accidents also increases. While there is no way to guarantee your safety on our roads, it is a good idea to familiarize yourself with the most common causes of accidents and other related statistics so that you can be aware of dangerous situations. By knowing common causes and outcomes of auto accidents, you will be able to take precautionary measures that may help you avoid becoming one of these tragic statistics.
How common are car accidents, injuries, and fatalities?
• Every year, there are more than 6 million automobile accidents on US roads.
• More than 40,000 people die in car accidents in the United States every year.
• More than 3 million people suffer injuries related to auto accidents every year, and roughly 2 million of these injuries are permanent.
How are most serious auto accidents caused?
• The most common cause of fatal car accidents in the US is driver intoxication: drunk driving can be attributed to roughly 40% of deadly crashes in this country.
• The second most common cause of fatal accidents on our roads is excessive speed, which can account for about 30% of accidents with fatalities.
• 25% of car accidents are caused by drivers who are talking on their cellular phones.
Other Important Statistics
• The leading cause of death for Americans age 1 to 30 is automobile accidents.
• More than 25% of all drivers in the United States will be in a car accident in the next 5 years.
• Wearing your seatbelt is vital! In more than one-half of all auto accident fatalities, the victims were not properly restrained.
Even the most vigilant driver may be involved in a serious accident. However, knowing the common causes and outcomes of auto accidents may help drivers to be more conscientious and proactive in avoiding a serious collision.
Car accidents can cause serious injuries and even wrongful death. If you or someone you love has been injured in an auto accident, contact a personal injury attorney.