What is a Web directory? How to submit a link to a Web Directory?
A web directory is nothing but a collection of websites that allow webmasters to submit their site. A Web directory is a site where different links are categorized under different categories. It specializes in linking to other websites and categorizing those links. It is online Yellow pages where people look for the website link as per their requirement. A directory is a compilation of links that are organized in a way to make it easy to search on. Submitting a link to a web directory of higher page rank will be more beneficial to increase our directory web site page rank.
A web directory should be very well categorized and organized and should have easy navigation. Web directories of high page rank and more domain age can become Paid Directories which will allow submitting links at a fixed price. To become link popular big budget people submit their link as a featured link even if the cost of submission is high. Before submitting their link they will check first the Page rank of the directory, its domain age and its popularity in search engines and even Alexa Rank.
A web directory can become seo friendly if it is not using redirected link or the nofollow attribute in the linking code.
Web directory listing consists of linked title, URL, description and keywords. Listings can be paid, free with reciprocal and regular links. It is good if all links are reviewed by the human editor to ensure only quality and spam free links submitted.
Let us know the procedure of submitting a link to a web directory:
1. First select the category that fits the website topic. Then drill down to the most appropriate category and do not submit to main categories.
Example: If you are submitting any health related site select the health category
2. After choosing the category click the submit link button this will open a Submission request form page. Before filling the form read the submission guidelines and type of listing we prefer, whether to submit the link as featured, regular and reciprocal.
3. Submission request form page includes:
a. Linked title: Give the appropriate title of the Website.
Eg: If your website is a web directory give title as free web directory.
b. URL: Give URL link of the website. Some allow "http", some don’t allow Eg:http://www.buzz2fone.com/
c. Description: Give some brief description about the website. Do not include URL in the description. Some fields have maximum limit for number of words in the description field.
d. Keywords: Give the appropriate keywords for the website. Choose the keyword that is highly used in search engines. We can use Keyword optimizer tools to get appropriate keywords.
e. Name :Give your name
f. E-mail: Give your valid Email address. Some sites will send one verification mail to that address to confirm your submission.
g. Captacha Code: Some sites allow this field to validate only manual submissions.
4. After filling the form click continue/ Submit site.
5. Then a Message will be displayed as Link: submitted and awaiting approval.
Submit another link.
6. Finally save the URL of the page where the link will be submitted for future reference.
7. Repeat the same steps to submit another link directory.
These are the basic details that one needs to submit a link to web directory and thus increase traffic to your site.