Choosing the Best Multi-Vitamin
In a perfect world our nutritional needs would be met by a healthy and balanced diet. . But very rarely does that happen, between the fast-paced lifestyle Americans lead and the ever declining nutritional value of junk food we are often left with a nutritional gap in our diet-making it clearer than ever how important a complete multi-vitamin supplement is to our overall health.
A poor diet can manifest itself in a number of ways including a lack of energy, poor memory function, feeling lethargic and even sometimes resulting in sleep disorders.. In 2002, the Journal of the American Medical Association stated, "it appears prudent for all adults to take vitamin supplements." Scientific studies show that insufficient levels of certain vitamins could be a factor in a number of ailments including heart disease and osteoporosis. Scientific research shows that insufficient levels of vitamins and minerals could result in ailments including heart disease and osteoporosis.1
How to Choose the Best Multi-Vitamin
There may be a sea of multi-vitamins to choose from but keep in mind that not all multi-vitamins are created equal. When choosing a multi-vitamin look for a brand that has been GMP-certified. What does this mean? GMP stands for Good Manufacturing Practices. Companies that have been certified follow fundamental guidelines to assure the integrity of the finished product. This is how you know you are getting the purest ingredients.
Once youve found a brand that is GMP-certified take a look at the ingredients in the vitamin and know what each one does. The function of many vitamins and minerals are enhanced by co-factors. . For instance, vitamin A is often found in foods containing the co-factors beta-caretenoids-in order for the body to get the full benefit of vitamin A, beta-caretenoids must be present. Think of it this way, if vitamin A is the car, beta-caretenoids are the road-having a car is useful, but made all the more efficient by having well maintained roads to drive it on. Many vitamins and minerals have co-factors that help enhance their effectiveness.
Tablets, Liquids or Effervescent Multi-Vitamins?
Tablets and capsules are the most cost effective way to get your vitamin needs. They are also easy to carry. But they contain chemical used as binding and coating agents and preservatives. These chemicals can hinder and even delay the absorption of nutrients in the multi-vitamin. Chemicals may also cause an allergic reaction. . Some may find large tablets and capsules difficult to swallow. And the slow digestion of pills can cause stomach irritation, nausea and vomiting.2
In contrast, liquid multi-vitamins can be easily swallowed by everyone including the elderly and children. The nutrients are more easily absorbed by the body than tablet pills, rendering up to 90 percent bio-availability.
Recently Americans have discovered what Europeans have known for years: an effervescent liquid vitamin is superior to the traditional tablet and has many advantages over other forms of multi-vitamins.
- The presence of carbon dioxide in these formulations is known to enhance the absorption of all nutrients, making the nutrients up to 99 percent bio-available..
- An effervescent vitamin drink maintains the pH level of the digestive tract, which will make nutrient absorption more efficient. Nutrients like calcium carbonate and amino acids need a balanced pH to be absorbed most efficiently..
- Effervescent vitamin drinks can be gentler on the stomach and esophagus.
Something More than a Multi-Vitamin
Dont settle for a multi-vitamin supplement containing only vitamins-you are cheating your body. Your body requires essential minerals as well as vitamins-minerals like selenium, zinc, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Folic Acid is necessary for the reproduction of healthy cells and tissues. And dont forget CoQ103, which is needed to support a healthy heart and L-Glutamine to support immune health. Instead of taking a mouthful of supplements to meet your dietary needs, look for a complete multi-vitamin that contains everything your body needs for optimal health.
Multi-vitamin formulas, like MultiVescence, contain all the essential vitamins, minerals and nutrients along with co-factors required for their proper absorption. Effervescent technology easily ensures maximum absorption. Convenient single-serving packets are easy to carry and prepare any time you need a boost of nutritional energy.
- NIH State-of-the-Science Conference Statement on Multivitamin/Mineral Supplements and Chronic Disease Prevention". NIH Consens State Sci Statements 23 (2): 1-30. 2006. PMID 17332802
- A.D. Koparkar, L.L. Augsburger, R.F. Shangraw. Intrinsic dissolution rates of tablet fillers and binders and their influence on the dissolution of drugs from tablet formulations. Pharmaceutical Research 7 (1): 80-85, 1990.
- Langsjoen H.A., Langsjoen P. H., Langsjoen P. H., Willis R., Folkers K. (1994) Usefulness of coenzyme Q10 in clinical cardiology, a long-term study. In: Eighth International Symposium on Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q, Littarru G.P., Battino M. , Folkers K. (Eds) The Molecular Aspects of Medicine, Vol. 15 (Supplement), pp S165-S175.