Cold Sores - Amazing Facts About Your Cold Sore
WHAT ARE COLD SORES?
Cold sores are ugly and quite painful blister type sores that normally occur on the edge of the lip or nose. They can and will occur anywhere on the body where the virus can find its way through a crack in the skin.
The replication process of the herpes simplex virus, type 1 and type 2, causes all cold sores, fever blisters and oral herpes outbreaks. The sores by either type herpes are identical in all respects.
When you are infected, the invading virus will claim a nearby nerve fiber as its lifetime home. That virus family will create cold sores on the surface end of that same nerve every time.
WHAT CAUSES THE COLD SORE?
The herpes virus is usually latent and hiding in the roots of the chosen nerve fibers. When it becomes active, the virus worms its way to the surface and penetrates into the surface nerve cells.
Since the herpes virus cannot reproduce, it must force the nerve cells to become virus factories and create the offspring. This is similar to those alien parasites you see on the science fiction shows.
Once the cells are full to capacity, the original virus destroys them to spill out the new virus particles. This mass cell destruction is the cause of the open cold sore wound.
The open cold sore would be painful enough, but it is even more so because the herpes virus creates the cold sore right on the end of your nerve. The pain is quite similar to a dentist hitting a tooth nerve.
HOW CONTAGIOUS ARE COLD SORES?
The virus that causes cold sores is extremely contagious to others as well as other locations on your own body. You are contagious from the first itching sensation until the sore is totally healed and no redness is apparent.
Cold sores on fingers, arms, cheeks and eyes are not uncommon. Once the virus has created a new cold sore site, you can expect repeated cold sores at that location.
Current statistics indicate that nearly 90% of the world population over 12 years old carries this parasite virus. 67% of those infected will have at least one cold sore each year. The other 33% will never get a single outbreak.
The great news is that cold sores only appear on the surface. The herpes simplex virus does not spread or do damage internally. You can only spread the herpes virus through external contact with the live virus particles.
Normally, you spread cold sores to others by kissing. Contaminated fingers or objects also account for a percentage of new infections. Doting relatives and friends commonly infect children before they turn ten.
HOW DO WE GET RID OF COLD SORES?
Each time you get a cold sore, your immune system creates anti-bodies. These soldiers help keep the herpes virus prisoner in the nerve roots. If stress occurs somewhere else in your body, these defenses weaken and the herpes simplex virus activates - with the results mentioned previously.
Keep in mind that your body knows how to cure cold sores (fever blisters or oral herpes) - and it will do so - without any help from you. But, without your assistance these cold sores could last three to four weeks - or more. Who wants that?
Medical science has not come up with any useful solutions yet. The herpes virus becomes resistant to the anti-viral medications quite quickly. Scientists have not yet created any useful vaccines.
There are also many over-the-counter cold sore treatment options that you could try. Most of them are comfort treatments only. Comfort is great, but dont expect the cold sores to heal any quicker.
WHAT ARE THE BEST COLD SORE TREATMENT TIPS?
Natural science seems to still be your best choice for effective cold sore treatment. Natural home cold sore remedies seem to be quite helpful in comfort and fast healing.
Some of the most common include applying ice during the beginning and warm compresses during the healing period. Adding additional lysine to your diet often extinguishes the cold sore quickly. Taking a daily multi-vitamin is very helpful.
Applying garlic oil or oregano oil helps chase away the virus. Also, be sure to cleanse the cold sore frequently with peroxide or alcohol.
Cold sores, fever blisters and oral herpes are painful, unsightly and persistent. Understanding the enemy will help you to better cope with and defeat them.
Do not give up. Many folks have totally eliminated cold sores - and its misery - from their lives by finding the right combination of cold sore treatment tactics.
Cold sore questions? Go to Denny Bodohs popular ANSWER site loaded with FREE information aboutCold Sores
and some greatCold Sore Treatment
tips you can use right this minute.